We know that the numbers will always be incorrect due to multiple reasons. Not all child abuse is reported. Not all child abuse is discovered. Abusers put fear into the children, threatening harm to their pet, their mom or dad (unless it is a parent who is the abuser) and they tell them that no one will ever believe them if they try to tell. Many times the abuse comes to light when a victim/survivor is healing and in a safe place mentally to work through the nightmare maze of memories.
I remember finally getting brave enough to tell an adult and was taken to the family doctor. After his examination of me he told my mom that “it’s just an irritation” and so no call was made to any agency, no one rescued me…I continued to be abused, sexually assaulted and the monster came with regularity for many years…
I am now speaking out about my abuse, my healing and adding my voice to thousands out there for the children who cannot speak for themselves…I know I will, and have, lost friends and even have family members who will not speak to me but I can remain silent no longer…
Stand up and Speak Out for the children. If you suspect abuse, make the call..Your call could very well be the only one and the one that saves a child’s life.
Child abuse can be physical, verbal, emotional, sexual, and neglect. Child abuse leaves scars that last a lifetime…
Due to the length of time it takes for the information to be gathered, compiled, analyzed and published it can take approximately two years to publish the data. By then it is outdated and new information has been gathers and is in process of being processed for publication. (Child Welfare Information Gateway)
The statistics are literally mind numbing. We want to STOP child abuse Before it starts. Education and awareness are KEY to Prevention…
Did you know:
One in three girls and one in six boys Will be sexually abused Before they turn 18
Only 1 in 10 will tell
There are over 42 million survivors of sexual abuse in America.
Somewhere between 2/3 and ninety percent of sexual abuse victims never tell !!!
293,000 children and youth are estimated to be at risk of exploitation.
100,000 are prostituted annually.
90% are abused by someone they know, love or trust.
20% of child sexual abuse victims are under the age of 8 .. most never tell, and some don’t recall the abuse.
More then 60% of pregnant teens have been sexually abused.
55% of girls living on the streets engage in prostitution.
20% of prostituted girls are transported across state lines for services.
The average age of entry for girls into prostitution is 12 to 14 years old.
One in 7 children who are regular Internet users receive sexual solicitations online.
1 in 3 is exposed to unwanted sexual material.
1 in 25 receives a request to meet someone in real life that they met online.
800,000 children are reported missing every year in the U.S. or 2,000 every day.
An estimated 200,000 are abducted by family members; 58,000 by non family members, the primary motive for which is sexual.
In the most serious cases, the child is abducted by a stranger and killed, held for ransom, or taken with the intention to keep.
EVERY SECOND MATTERS!! EVERY SECOND COUNTS!!
National Child Abuse Statistics
• A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.
• Almost five children die every day as a result of child abuse. More than three out of four are under the age of 4.
• It is estimated that between 60-85 percent of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.
• 90 percent of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way; 68 percent are abused by family members.
• Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
• 31 percent percent of women in prison in the United States were abused as children.
• Over 60 percent of people in drug rehabilitation centers report being abused or neglected as a child.
• About 30 percent of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
• About 80 percent of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
• The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2007 is $104 billion.
• Abused children are 25 percent more likely to experience teen pregnancy.
• Abused teens are times less likely to practice safe sex, putting them at greater risk for STDs.
A Powerful Video by Children’s Advocate Kathylee Forrester about Child Abuse Awareness and HOPE. The beautiful song in the video is written and performed by Keith Dudley. Kathylee is the creator of Patches the Bear and his 8 Emotion Face Helpers for children.
Please visit Patches Kids and learn more Kathylee Forrester “AngelicPreneur” & Creator of Patches the Bear and how Patches is helping children all over the world 🙂
Here are some good sites with more information: